Over the years, I’ve been privy to many birth playlists. Call me a birth music connoisseur.
I realize that birth music is a personal thing. However, I’ve noticed a few common features.
- It is music that makes the mama sway, rock, dance.
- It loosens her body–relaxes her jaw and releases her shoulders.
- It is the same music she would pick for a romantic rendezvous.
- She usually knows all the words (if there are any words).
- And for whatever reason, this guy almost always shows up!
Lately I’m hearing Bon Iver, The Avett Brothers, Sigur Ros, Ray LaMontagne. And Norah Jones, Celine Dion, and Chris Tomlin show up pretty frequently. Many times, the mama picks songs with nostalgia from childhood lullabies to the high school prom.
What was/is on your birth playlist?
Now, my personal pick for the perfect labor song is this one: