RSS Feed

A day in the life

I love when other moms post their “day in the life” so here’s mine in all its mundane glory.

6:30am:  Made coffee and my husband’s lunch.  Kissed him good-bye and went back to bed where two little girls had slipped under the covers.

7:30am:  Out of bed, drank coffee, and fed the kids.  Perused facebook while the coffee took effect.

8am:  2nd coffee enabled me to answer emails.  Broke up a fight.  Dealt with a melt-down from Norah over I-can’t-remember-what.  I think it had to do with loom bands.

8:45am:  Out the door.  We did our Latin lesson in the car and I ate my breakfast.

9:30am:  Balcony seats at the Brooks Center to see a musical, “The Monster Who Ate My Peas.”

10:45am:  Back in the car.  We listened to a Lyrical Life Sciences song about digestion which turned into a discussion about the Pacific Northwest myth about raven stealing the sun which turned into a discussion about the reproductive system which led to listening to Rita Dove read her poetry.  That’s how we roll.

11:20am:  Met my mother-in-law in Easley so she could take the kids to lunch while I provided a new mama with 2 hours of postpartum care.

2pm:  Heading back home with the girls.  They told me all about fractions which Nana taught them in her craft room today.  Norah showed me how much she crocheted.  Is that really the past-tense of crochet?  I defined the words optimism and pessimism based on Norah’s not-great attitude which led to a discussion about their derivation from the Latin words, pessime and optime.

2:30-4:30pm:  I ate lunch.  Norah practiced violin and read her new book.  Cedar played with her babies.  Then the girls went outside to blow bubbles.  I made a meal to take to a postpartum mom.  Talked to another postpartum mom about her perineum.  Answered more emails.  P.S.  If you send me an email asking lots of questions that require I spend 15 minutes crafting a careful response, please follow-up with a “thank you.”  I’m shocked by the number of strangers who email me things like, “I want to be a doula…will you answer these 17 questions?” and then never reply.  Common courtesy, friends!

5pm:  Dropped meal off.  The girls sang their history songs in the car.

5:45pm:  The girls and I met Scott at Panera for dinner.  He took the girls home and I headed to an Upstate BirthNetwork meeting.  Answered a phone call about a funky umbilical cord and texted with a tired doula.

9pm-10pm:  Stood too long in the cold parking lot talking with my favorite childbirth educator.

10pm-10:45pm:  Cried on the phone with my mother about all the mistakes I’m making with my kids.

11:30pm:  Home in bed blogging with a mug of peppermint tea.

And now I’m laughing that I’m really going to post this “day in the life” on my blog!  Yeah, I pretty much “road-schooled” the kids today.  Tomorrow we’ll get to stay home almost all day and surely there will be math and spelling.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: